This black quinoa and chicken salad is full of healthy green vegetables, herbs and a fresh lemon dressing that makes it just what you need for a quick and easy meal. As a bonus it keeps well in the fridge and so is perfect for giving you leftovers for lunch the next day too
I created this quinoa and chicken salad for this month's Recipe Redux. The theme was easy recipes with 7 or fewer ingredients. The type of meal you can make when you really don't want to try out anything complicated or do too much thinking. Except to make sure there are no more than 7 ingredients!
The Recipe Redux is a group of bloggers(many of them dietitians) who complete a healthy recipe challenge each month. I love taking part as it keeps me on track and encourages me to focus on healthy recipes and try new things.
Have you tried black quinoa?
It was actually just in January this year for my Recipe Redux challenge that I tried black quinoa for the first time when I made kabocha squash stuffed with black quinoa and discovered how much I like the taste and crunchy texture of black quinoa. I was keen to use it again here as I think it goes really well with the green vegetables and chicken.
I kept the dressing simple - just lemon juice, fresh parsley and black pepper. I love lemon juice on a salad and because of the fresh herbs there was enough flavour to make the salad zesty and light.
We ate this as a warm salad when it was first made and then kept it overnight in the fridge and it was just as nice slightly chilled when I ate it the next day for lunch, which of course means that it's perfect for my #CookOnceEatTwice challenge as well.
Chicken and Black Quinoa Salad
- 200 g black quinoa red or white quinoa are fine too
- 3 chicken breasts cut into strips
- 2 green peppers cut into strips
- 80 g green beans ends cut off and then cut in half
- 1 lemon Juiced
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper
- Rinse and then cook the quinoa according to the pack instructions. I cooked mine for 20 minutes. Then drain.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan or wok and stir fry the chicken.
- When the chicken is cooked on the outside add the green beans and peppers and continue to stir fry for a few more minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are cooked but still with some bite.
- Mix the lemon juice and most of the parsley into the quinoa. Season with black pepper
- Serve the chicken and green vegetables on top of the quinoa with the extra parsley sprinkled on top.
More Delicious salad recipes
Why not try my Vietnamese chicken and rice salad too?