This Chinese inspired coca cola chicken recipe with chilli and cashew nuts is a great alternative to ordering a takeaway. The coca cola makes it deliciously sweet and sticky while the fresh vegetables and herbs keep it light and vibrant.
I've always been fascinated by recipes that use coca cola. There's something a little naughty about cooking with a drink my mother wouldn't let me drink as a child. Maybe it's also the fact that it's such an artificial but addictive flavour that makes it seem just a little edgy. A glass of orange juice may be just as sweet but wouldn't seem half as wild.
Can you make this coca cola chicken with diet coke?
To be honest, I don't often drink cola and when I do I usually have the diet versions. However, for making this coca cola chicken recipe you need the sugar that's in the real thing. You can make this with Diet Coke but it's just not the same.
Can you taste the cola in this chicken recipe?
In essence, this is a Chinese style dish with a sweet and sticky sauce like so many Chinese dishes have. The only difference is where the sweet and sticky sauce comes from. The dish doesn't actually taste of cola but the cola does give a rich flavour to the sauce. The coca cola sauce is sweet, but not too sweet.
For me, that's a good thing as I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet savoury dishes. So you're probably wondering why I wanted to cook with cola in the first place. It must be that rebellious streak in me!
The inspiration for this coca cola chicken recipe
I've read a lot of cola recipes online over the last few years. Whenever I come across one I read through the recipe and imagine how it'll taste. The recipe this is nearest to is this one on Milk and Honey. I've added more vegetables, more coriander and a little less soy sauce.
What can you serve with this coca cola chilli chicken?
The sauce is rich and sticky so I think a light rice side dish is best. Plain rice such as jasmine, brown rice or basmati all work well.
You could also serve it with plain noodles.
Can you reheat the leftovers?
Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to three days and then reheated in the microwave or in the oven. Make sure it's piping hot before serving.
Coca Cola Chicken Recipe with Chilli
Coca Cola Chicken with Chilli
- 300 g chicken cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 birds eye chilli pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 330 ml coca cola
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 30 g cashew nuts
- 300 g Chinese vegetables sugar snap peas, baby corn
- 1 tsp cornflour Mixed into 1 tbsp water
- Put the chicken, cornflour and soy sauce in a bowl. Stir well and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour before you make the rest of the dish.
- Put a little oil in a pan and add the chilli, ginger and garlic. Fry them for about a minute and then add the chicken.
- Keep stirring the chicken so it doesn't stick and when it is beginning to brown, add the cola. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering. Heat a dry frying pan and dry fry the cashews. Keep shaking the pan so they turn over and don't burn.
- Add the vegetables and half of the coriander to the pan with the chicken and continue to simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cornflour and water mixture and stir to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with rice and top with the cashew nuts and the extra coriander leaf.
More Chinese Inspired Recipes
I'm sure you'll love my easy Chinese chicken curry
Or how about this slow cooker chicken stew with stir fried vegetables?
If you like spicy recipes then do check out my easy spicy midweek meals recipe collection!
Pin for later!
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this coca cola chicken or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable.