This beautifully flavoured slow cooker Chinese chicken stew combines tender slow cooked chicken thighs with the freshness of stir fried vegetables. It's an easy meal to prepare in advance and the vegetables are very quick to stir fry just before you plan to have dinner!
This slow cooker Chinese chicken dish could be stir fried instead. I decided to make it in the slow cooker as I wanted all the oriental flavours to have time to develop and really soak into the chicken to give it lots of taste. Of course, I could have just marinated the chicken in the sauce ingredients to achieve a similar effect. However, I wanted to see what it would be like done this way.
The result is definitely more of a stew than a stir fry. But, because the vegetables are just stir fried they keep their crunch and crispness and that's one of the things I always like about Chinese cooking. The freshness of a really good stir fry.
You can see that the mange touts are a lovely bright green colour rather than the dull green they would have gone if they had been cooked in the slow cooker, even if they had just been put in near the end.
Can you use Chicken breasts for this recipe?
When I first made this slow cooker Chinese chicken I used chicken breasts. However, I now always prefer to use chicken thighs in the slow cooker as they don't dry out as much. They have a much juicier texture and in my opinion at least are way tastier!
Recipe for Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken Stew with Stir Fried Vegetables
Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken Stew with Stir Fried Vegetables
Ingredients for the Slow Cooker
- 4 Chicken thighs skinless and boneless, diced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 chilli pepper finely sliced
Ingredients for the Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp oil
- 250 g mushrooms sliced
- 50 g mange touts
- ½ onion sliced
- Put the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix together all the other ingredients for the slow cooker. Pour over the chicken making sure the chicken is coated in the sauce.
- Add about 50ml of water to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours.
- Just before you are going to serve the meal, make the stir fry.
- Heat the oil and then fry the mushrooms for a minute. Add the mangetouts. Cook for another minute.
- Stir the vegetables into the slow cooked chicken and then serve with rice.
More Recipes you Might Like
Why not try this chicken anise?
Places I'm sharing this
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this slow cooker Chinese Chicken or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too? I’ll even send you a FREE printable.