This light fresh Indian kachumber salad is a great side dish to all kinds of summer meals and especially delicious with a rich creamy curry. The lemon juice, onions and cucumber are the perfect contrast.
This Indian kachumber salad is a really simple side dish. The freshness of the raw vegetables flavoured with lemon juice is perfect with anything rich and spicy, which is one reason why it's so good alongside a creamy curry such as my chicken korma or butter chicken recipes.
What is kachumber salad?
Kachumber salad is just an Indian side salad made with freshly diced cucumber, tomatoes, onions, fresh herbs and lemon juice. Some versions also include diced chilli peppers.
Ingredients in this kachumber salad
For my kachumber salad I use:
- Tomatoes - I like to use large ripe tomatoes. You can use cherry tomatoes as well.
- Red onion - It's not quite as strong as a brown onion but if you don't have it you can substitute with with a brown onion, a milder Spanish onion or even spring onions.
- Chilli pepper - You can omit this if you don't want any heat in the salad. Or just scrape out the seeds.
- Lemon - I prefer freshly squeezed lemon juice as it's got more flavour and doesn't have that artificial edge that lemon juice in a bottle sometimes has.
- Fresh herbs - I use a mixture of coriander and mint leaves
How do you make kachumber salad?
This salad couldn't be easier to make. Just dice all the vegeables and mix them together along with the lemon juice and herbs. I have included a recipe card (with quantities!) at the bottom of this post but you probably don't need it!
Adaptations and substitutions
If you want you can make a few adaptations to this salad. Why not add a little grated carrot, a few diced radishes or some diced red or yellow pepper?
Feel free to make it your own.
I normally just dress this salad with lemon juice but you can add a little olive oil if you want as well. If you've run out of lemon juice then you can use white wine vinegar. It'll taste a little different but still work as a fresh side salad.
Some people also like to add a few spices. You can sprinkle on some cayenne pepper, cumin or ground coriander. If you have a chaat masala spice blend then why not sprinkle a little on too.
What to serve with kachumber salad?
This kachumber salad is a great accompaniment to all kinds of curries, esepcially richer curries. I also love it with Indian lamb chops and chicken tikka. Why not check out my collection of curry recipes for more inspiration?
Although this is an Indian side salad, there are many other similar salads made throughout Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. This salad is just as delicious with Indian food as it is with my Spanish chicken kebabs or my Middle Eastern chicken kebabs.
How long does it stay fresh?
This salad is best when it is freshly made. However, it will keep in the fridge overnight so if you have any leftovers it can be eaten up the next day too.
Indian Kachumber Salad
- 1 cucumber diced
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 chilli pepper sliced, seeds removed if you want less heat
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves chopped
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Mix together and squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
More Indian side dishes
If you like spicy recipes and Indian food as much as me, why not check out one of these side dishes?
And if you're looking for salad recipe then do have a look at my main meal salads recipe post for lots more ideas.
Pin for later
Places I'm sharing this recipe
Cook Blog Share hosted by Sew White