Can you resist this easy rocky road tray bake? Gorgeous little pieces of chocolate containing nuts, marshmallows, raisins and digestive biscuits. They are the perfect chocolate treat!
Another dessert in so short a time! This time I'm sharing this gorgeous rocky road tray bake which is THE way to satisfy any chocolate cravings you may have. It's a super simple rocky road recipe and in fact, no baking is involved. So maybe I shouldn't even be calling it a tray bake. Never mind, it looks like a tray bake and where chocolate, nuts, marshmallow and biscuit pieces are concerned, who cares about the name!
What is rocky road?
Rocky road is a homemade chocolate bar made with melted chocolate and golden syrup. Different fillings can be added with the simplest ones including just marshmallows and biscuit pieces. When the chocolate has set, it is cut into bars or squares.
As well as marshmallows and biscuit pieces you can add all sorts of other ingredients. Common rocky road ingredients include: nuts, dried fruit, glace cherries, coconut, honeycomb, popcorn, jelly sweets or hard sugar coated sweets such as smarties.
How is this Rocky Road Different?
Now, traditionally in a rocky road bar, all the ingredients are mixed together. I decided to make my rocky road a little differently. My husband is not a big fan of raisins and some people I know are not keen on nuts. Therefore I used these ingredients as toppings and made 4 slightly different variations but still in one tray. I divided the tray into 4 sections. One was decorated with macadamia nuts only. The next one with sultanas only. Then nuts and sultanas. The final quarter did not have anything on the top.
But what about if everyone loves all the extras?
Well, you don't have to make it this way. Just mix all the ingredients together!
Can you adapt this rocky road tray bake Recipe?
You can easily adapt this recipe to suit your tastes and those of the people you're making it for. Be adventurous with the rocky road fillings. Choose your favourite nuts, favourite sweets or dried fruit. As long as you keep the proportions similar then it'll be just fine.
You can make it look more attractive by sprinkling extra marshmallows over the top and drizzling on melted white chocolate. Alternatively you can add a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Ultimately rocky road is a treat and you want it to be a treat. Go on treat yourself!
Rocky Road Tray Bake Recipe
Rocky Road Tray Bake
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 100 g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g digestive biscuits broken up into pieces
- 36 g mini marshmallows
- 30 g macadamia nuts chopped in half
- 30 g raisins
- Melt chocolate, butter and golden syrup in a bowl above a pan of boiling water. When melted and thoroughly combined add the vanilla.
- Add the chopped biscuits to the chocolate. Stir to combine then add the marshmallows and stir in too.
- Line a tin with baking paper and add the chocolate mixture. Dividing the tin into quarters, decorate one with macadamia nuts only, one with raisins only, one with nuts and raisins and one quarter without anything on the top. Alternatively, stir all the ingredients together at stage 2.
- Leave to cool. When cool put in the refrigerator to finish setting.
- Cut into bite sized squares and serve.
More Chocolate Recipes
This no bake chocolate refrigerator cake is another great option if you like easy recipes.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make this rocky road tray bake. I love to get feedback from readers.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too. I’ll even send you a FREE printable.