These nut and sultana refrigerator bars are perfect for an afternoon or mid-morning snack. This tasty no-bake recipe is so easy to make that your children can even help you make them!
Today I'm sharing a recipe from my mother. I have no idea where she got it from. It was probably from a magazine back in the 80s or early 90s. I remember having these in the fridge at home and I would sneakily get one out whenever no-one was around. You see, we were't allowed to eat between meals and so I developed a habit as a secret eater. Please tell me I'm not the only one!
These refrigerator bars are the perfect snack at any time!
Anyway, recently when I was visiting my parents they made an appearance again. Being an adult, there was no secret eating this time. I happily snacked on them mid-morning, mid-afternoon, midnight...
Can you adapt these nutty sultana refrigerator bars?
I returned to London with the recipe and actually made them. I followed the recipe exactly but there are countless ways you could adapt it. How about different nuts, different dried fruit or even, as my husband would prefer, no fruit or nuts at all! For more decadent take on the basic recipe you could add mini marshmallows, fudge pieces or any other favourite sweets. You could also increase the amount of chocolate, which would also make them a little less crumbly. Yes, they can be quite crumbly but don't let that put you off.
Recipe for Nut and Sultana Refrigerator Bars
Nut and Sultana Refrigerator Bars
- 220 g digestive biscuits
- 55 g pecans chopped
- 85 g sultanas or raisins
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 85 g butter
- 55 g dark chocolate
- Grease an 18cm square tin and line with baking parchment.
- Put the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Melt the syrup, butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Stir the crushed biscuits, nuts and sultanas into the chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin. Smooth the top and put into the refrigerator to chill.
- Before serving, remove from the fridge. Leave to sit ten minutes and then remove from tin and slice into squares.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Pin these Nut and sultana refrigerator bars
More Delicious Snack Recipes
If you'd like more recipes for delicious easy snacks then do take a look at the recipes below: