What could be more comforting than apple and cinnamon at this time of year? This cinnamon apple smoothie is a great choice for an easy breakfast or snack and perfect for using up a glut of apples.
I love the autumnal flavour combination of apple and cinnamon and have used it in countless desserts over the years as well as in cinnamon applesauce muffins, cinnamon apple rice pudding and cinnamon apple quark breakfast bowls.
I also love to make smoothies and so it was perhaps only a matter of time before I decided to create my own apple and cinnamon smoothie. It's healthy, filling and perfect for a breakfast in itself or as part of a more substantial breakfast.
As it's got apple in it's a great way to get one of your 5 a day too. It's easy to make, quick and nutritious too!
What ingredients do you need?
To make this delicious autumn cinnamon smoothie you'll need:
- Almond milk - I am not a fan of the taste of milk and prefer plant-based milks in smoothies. I think almond milk works particularly well in this apple smoothie. You can however, substitute this for another plant-based milk or even cow's milk.
- Apples - I like to use Royal Gala apples but you can use whatever apples you like.
- Cinnamon - Cinnamon goes so well with apples and is perfect in this smoothie.
- Oats - These help to thicken the smoothie a little and make it more substantial which is great if you are having it as a healthy liquid breakfast!
- Maple syrup - This adds a little sweetness and flavour to the smoothie. You can substitute it with honey or agave nectar.
How to make cinnamon apple smoothie
This delicious milky apple smoothie is really simple to make as long as you have a blender. Just core and dice the apples and put all the ingredients in the blender and blitz it.
If I am organised and plan to make this inadvance then I soak the oats in the milk before making the smoothie. This helps it blend more easily. You can put the oats in the milk the night before or just for ten minutes before making it.
What kind of blender do you need to make it?
I usually use my Froothie Evolve power blender as makes a really smooth smoothie even with the added oats.
However, you can use any jug blender, although the more powerful the better.
Can you make it with a stick blender?
I find that stick blenders are not always as good to make smoothies with hard fruits like apple and oats as they don't always blend all the bits. That means you might end up with a slightly gritty texture. However, you can still make it.
I often soak the oats in the milk before making the smoothie as that softens them and helps ensure that they blend easily. If you are making this with a stick blender then I would definitely recommend you do this.
Can you adapt this smoothie?
Yes, you can. You could add additional ingredients such as banana or nut butters.
If you're not a fan of oats in a smoothie then miss them out.
If you don't have cinnamon you could try a spice blend such as apple pie spice, mixed spiced or pumpkin pie spice.
Can you make it with any kind of milk?
Yes, I chose to make this apple and cinnamon smoothie with almond milk as I am not very keen on the taste of cows milk. However, if you want to use cow's milk then that's fine.
I think plant-based milks are great for smoothies and you could replace the almond milk with a different plant-based milk too. Oat milk, soya milk or even coconut milk would all work well.
Because this smoothie uses almond milk it means it's great for anyone who is lactose intolerant or vegan. If you are allergic to nuts then just replace it with a different milk.
Can you make this smoothie in advance?
Yes you can, although it might separate a little if it stands for a while before you drink it. It's no problem though. Just stir it before serving.
Cinnamon Apple Smoothie
- 500 ml almond milk
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 3 apples cored and diced
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon Plus a little extra to sprinkle on top
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup add more or less to taste
- Before making the smoothie put the almond milk in a jug with the oats and leave to soak. (optional)
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Taste and add extra maple syrup or cinnamon to taste.
More fruity smoothie recipes
I have quite a few smoothie recipes here on Searching for Spice and here are just a few of them:
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make this apple and cinnamon smoothie recipe. I love to get feedback from readers.