This spiced wild rice and pea salad is a lovely salad to eat at any time of year and is a great vegan choice too. Perfect as a main meal or a side dish.
January is definitely the time to eat healthily but some salads just don't suit cold wintery weather. The good news is that there are plenty of salads which are just right at any time of year and this spiced wild rice and pea salad is one of them.
The beauty of this salad is that it is so versatile. You can serve it as a main meal or it can just be a side. It keeps well in the fridge so you can make a big batch and then eat it up over the next few days. Like many people, I need to try and save time in the kitchen and this is a perfect #CookOnceEatTwice meal. If you're looking for more ideas for meals that are great eaten as leftovers then do take a look at my #CookOnceEatTwice post.
The most important thing is that it is healthy and healthy is exactly what I'm looking for right now. I adapted it from A Salad for All Seasons by Harry Eastwood and it's an easy salad to adapt. You could use any long grain rice or a grain such as spelt would be lovely too. Diced peppers could replace the carrot and sunflower or pumpkin seeds could be used in place of the pine nuts.
I always think a few spices and fresh herbs do so much to add flavour to a dish and although you could use dried herbs instead, the fresh parsley goes really well. Coriander would also be lovely.
Although I didn't consciously realise it when I made this spiced wild rice and pea salad, it's also a vegan salad and although I am not following Veganuary like some food bloggers this month, it's always healthy to eat more plant based meals.
Recipe for Spiced Wild Rice and Pea Salad
Spiced Wild Rice and Pea Salad
- 250 g rice I used Red Camargue and Wild Rice
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 250 g frozen peas
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1 red onion finely diced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the rice by boiling it for about 15 minutes with the cardamom pods and bay leaves.
- Put the pine nuts in a dry frying pan and toast them gently until they are golden. Set them aside.
- Put a little oil in the frying pan, cook the carrots gently for about 5 minutes then stir in the ground spices
- Add the peas to the rice a couple of minutes before the rice has finished cooking then drain the rice and put it in the pan with the carrots. Stir the carrot and spices into the rice
- Chop the parsley and finely dice the red onion. Stir them into the rice too.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and add a little extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle the pine nuts over the top when serving.
Places I'm sharing this Spiced Wild Rice and Pea Salad