Thin and crispy with a satisfying snap, these basil and parmesan thins are a delicious savoury cracker recipe. They're perfect as part of a cheese course with savoury biscuits and ideal for snacking on at any time!
I have to say, I am loving the Great British Bake Off this year. I watched the biscuit episode wanting to make everything. So many savoury flavoured biscuits in the first round, florentines in the second round and then 3d biscuit creations in the third round. Well, I've started with these savoury biscuits and I stress the word, 'started'. I have made a 3d creation as well so do check out my 5 Little Ducks Went Swimming One Day post!
What are these basil and parmesan thins like?
But wait, this post is about parmesan and basil thins. I must stop myself talking about my next idea and bring myself back to this one. Yes, this one. What are these savoury parmesan cracker like?
Firstly the biscuits have a lovely break. Is that the correct terminology? Or was it crack? Or snap? Basically, these thins are crispy. They also score in the all important taste test. They are scrumptious - strong and cheesey, which is what I want from a cheese biscuit. The parmesan is quite strong and the basil is subtle, but you can still taste it.
They are also small or at least mine are, which is good because you can eat one and then just eat another, and another, and another. You won't feel like you are overeating.
Go on. Help yourself!
Recipe for Basil and Parmesan Thins
The recipe is adapted from Step-by-Step Baking by Caroline Bretherton
Basil and Parmesan Thins
- 85 g plain flour
- 60 g butter at room temperature
- 60 g parmesan
- 1 tbsp basil freshly chopped
- Pinch black pepper
- Put the flour and butter in a food processor and pulse until it forms a breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse again until they are all combined.
- Knead the mixture briefly to make it into a smooth dough.
- Put a little extra flour on the work surface and roll out to a thickness of about 2mm. Cut out the biscuits using a cutter and place them directly on a baking sheet. I needed 3 baking sheets for this amount of dough.
- Bake the thins in the oven at 180°C for 5 minutes. They may have puffed up in the middle. Turn them over and press them down onto the baking sheets as you turn them to make them flat again. Cook for an extra 5 minutes on the other side.
- Take them out and cool them on wire racks.
More recipes you might like
If you like savoury homemade biscuits then do check out my savoury cheese and paprika biscuits.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Do let me know if you make these basil and parmesan thins. Or any of the other recipes here on Searching for Spice.
Why not sign up to my weekly newsletter too?
Places I'm sharing these parmesan and basil thins