These sweet potato and black bean patties are a delicious vegetarian recipe, perfect for a light main meal or a starter. Serve with salad or inside bread rolls as veggies burgers!
There is something really exciting about taking a few vegetables, beans, herbs and spices and turning them into something even the most ardent meat eaters will love. That's exactly what happens with these sweet potato and black bean patties. They are soft inside, crispy around the edges and very very tasty!
This sweet potato and black bean patty recipe was inspired by a recipe on A Bolder Table which is a food blog that focuses on recipes made with whole, organic and unprocessed ingredients. I have to admit that I made quite a few adaptations to the recipe but it was still really tasty.
If you like healthy food and spicy veggie burgers and patties then you NEED to try this recipe!
Ingredients for black bean and sweet potato patties
To make these black bean and sweet potato patties you'll need:
- Black beans - I use tinned black beans but you can use dried beans if you soak and boil them first.
- Garlic cloves - I prefer to use fresh garlic but you can use a puree or paste.
- Sweet potato _ I used a red sweet potato but to be honest, I think even a regular potato would work.
- Onion - Brown or red onions are fine.
- Seasoning - A little salt and black pepper
- Herbs - I use fresh coriander (cilantro) when I have it but originally used dried coriander
- Chilli pepper - I love a little bit of heat in these but you can omit it if your family don't like a lot of chilli heat
- Flour or Polenta - When I first made these I used polenta but I have to admit that I'm not a fan of polenta as a side dish so it's not worth me buying a whole bag, just to use a little bit. These days I just use plain flour and it works just as well.
How do you make these sweet potato patties?
These are really quite simple to make. Just grate the potatoes, slice the onion, chop the chilli pepper and herbs and crush the garlic. Then just mix all the ingredients together.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan and then put spoonfuls into the frying pan. Press them down with the back of the spoon so they are not too thick and so everything will cook through.
Fry on a medium-low heat for about 8 minutes on each side.
Can you adapt the recipe?
Yes! There are lots of ways you can adapt these. You can add extra spices such as paprika, ground coriander and cayenne pepper.
Instead of black beans you can use kidney beans or indeed any kind of beans. Instead of sweet potato you could use a normal white potato.
Feel free to be flexible about whether you use polenta, plain flour or another flour. Chickpea flour also works well.
Can you cook them in the oven?
Yes, if you want to cook them in the oven. Put them on a baking tray lined with non stick baking paper. Spray them with oil and cook them for about 10 minutes on each side at 200C.
Can you cook them in the air fryer?
Yes! I find they cook slightly more quickly in the air fryer and will be ready after about 6 minutes on each side at 200C.
What can you do with the leftovers?
Any leftover patties can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. It is best to reheat them in the oven so that they crisp up again. They should just need 5 minutes at 180C. You can also reheat them in the air fryer if you have one. I love my Instant Vortex Plus Dual Basket air fryer!
Can you freeze them?
Yes! Put them in an airtight freezer bag and you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Put a little baking paper between each one so that they don't freeze together too tightly.
You can then reheat them directly from frozen in the oven. They should take about 8-10 minutes at 180C.
What can you serve with them?
As I said earlier, you can eat them as burgers inside burger buns or you can just eat them with a side salad.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Patties
- 120 g black beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet potato grated
- 1 onion sliced
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 1 chilli pepper finely sliced
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoon yellow cornmeal (polenta) or plain flour
- Put the black beans in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the sweet potato, the onion, chillies, coriander, garlic and seasonings. Add the egg and mix well. Add the cornmeal (or flour) and mix in well.
- Heat a frying pan with a little oil. When hot add tablespoons of the sweet potato mixture. Press down to make flat round patties.
- Cook for about 8 minutes on each side. Serve with salad.
More recipes you might like
Why not try my one of these recipes:
Keep in touch
Do let me know if you make these sweet potato and black bean patties or any of my other recipes. I love to get feedback from readers.