Cod and chorizo is an amazing Spanish flavour combination! This baked cod with a chorizo crust is definitely a recipe packed full of flavour and perfect for enjoying the flavours of Spain at home.
I love chorizo and have do many recipes using it. When I look at recipes in the sausage category here on Searching for Spice, I see that more than half of them have chorizo in. It just makes everything better, meatballs, burgers, omelettes, soups. I really should try a few variations, but let me share just one more chorizo recipe with you before I do that.
The inspiration for this baked cod with chorizo
I found this recipe on the Hairy Biker's website. Although I love seeing them cook, I realised that I couldn't remember ever actually making one of their recipes. As there is the Hairy Bikers - Bloggers Know Best Challenge, hosted by Jo's Kitchen, I felt it was high time I discovered their recipes in my own kitchen. My love of chorizo naturally led me to try their recipe for fish with a chorizo crust. You can also find the recipe in their book, The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life.
How did I adapt the recipe?
Well, I did make a few small changes. I used breadcrumbs I had made myself a couple of weeks earlier, rather than making the breadcrumbs as I made the dish. I also missed out the lime zest from the crust and didn't put as much salt in, as chorizo has plenty of flavour already. Another change I might make next time would be to not bother with the parmesan cheese. I don't think it adds a lot to the dish and is not a perfect match for the lime or the paprika in the chorizo. In fact, I think lemon would work just as well, if not better!
As you can see, I baked some extra slices of chorizo to serve alongside the fish. I also made some small spicy roast potatoes so it was quite a filling dish. Although I did have some salad too! As I said, I would make a few changes next time, but I love the basic recipe for a chorizo crust and will be making it again.
Cod with Chorizo Crust
- 400 g cod fillets 2 fillets
- 1 lime
- 50 g chorizo diced
- 30 g breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp parsley dried
- pinch black pepper
- pinch salt
- Squeeze half the lime juice onto the cod and leave in the fridge to marinate for half an hour.
- Slice the chorizo and fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and stir well so the flavoured oil coats the breadcrumbs. Continue to cook for another couple of minutes. Then tip onto a plate and leave to cool.
- Put the chorizo and breadcrumbs in a food processor and blend until it all resembles breadcrumbs. Then add the parmesan, garlic, parsley, black pepper and salt. Blitz again just to combine all the ingredients.
- Put the fish on a greased baking tray. Cover with the breadcrumb mixture and press it down a little.
- Bake the fish in the oven at 180C for about 15-18 minutes. Serve with extra lime wedges.