Are you craving those spicy Indian lamb chops you get in Indian restaurants and from takeaways? If so, this easy recipe for a delicious lamb chop marinade is definitely something you need to make.
For many many years, my husband and I have been ordering Indian lamb chops to share as a starter whenever we go to an Indian restaurant. I love the spiciness, the slight charring and the rich flavour of the tender marinated lamb. The only problem is that I always want to eat more of them!
I had to do some experimenting and come up with my own version at home! After all, these lamb chops are not difficult to make. All you need to do is whip up a tasty yogurt based marinade to marinate the chops in and then the next day you cook them. On the griddle, in a frying pan or under the grill. You can even roast them in the oven.
They are so easy to make. The marinade gives them loads of flavour and makes them super tender.
What ingredients do you need?
To make these spicy Indian lamb chops you'll need:
- Lamb chops - Choose the ones on the bone if you can although they'll taste just as good if they are not on the bone.
- Yogurt - I use natural Greek yogurt. You can use full fat or low fat yogurt.
- Garlic - I use fresh crushed garlic but you can use garlic puree instead.
- Ginger - I also use fresh root ginger and grate it myself but you can replace it with ginger paste or puree.
- White wine vinegar - I love the flavour that vinegar adds to Indian marinades. If you don't have white wine vinegar you can also use red wine vinegar or even just malt vinegar.
- Spices - ground coriander, garam masala, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, fenugreek
How do you make Indian lamb chops?
These spicy Indian lamb chops are so easy to make. You don't need any special equipment. Just mix up all the ingredients for the marinade and let the lamb chops sit in it for a few hours, ideally overnight.
I then prefer to cook them in a griddle pan as it gives a lovely charring effect. You can cook them in a frying pan or under the grill (broiler) too though.
Right now they are great cooked outside on the barbecue as well.
What to serve with Indian lamb chops?
You can serve them as a starter with lots of other dishes as part of an Indian feast for a small group or as a main meal for two with just one or two sides.
How long do they keep for?
Once you've cooked these lamb chops you can keep them in the fridge for up to three days. You can then eat them cold or reheat them in the oven or microwave.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, if you don't think you'll eat the leftovers within a few days then wrap them up well in cling film and you can freeze the cooked lamb chops for up to three months.
Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating in the microwave or oven.
More Indian lamb recipes
I love spicy Indian recipes and I have a few tasty lamb curries that you might like. Why not try:
Spicy Indian Lamb Chops
- 400 g lamb chops
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade. Then coat the lamb in it and put in the fridge for 24 hours (ideally).
- The the lamb out of the fridge 30 minutes before you plan to cook it.
- Heat a griddle pan brushed with a little oil. Cook the lamb chops for about 5 minutes on each side. Or for a shorter time if they are very thin or for a little longer if they are very thick.
- Alternatively you can cook them in a frying pan or under the grill (broiler). You can even roast them. They'll take 20 -30 minutes at 180C if you cook them in the oven.
Pin for later
Places I'm sharing this recipe
Cook Blog Share hosted by Sew White