I often make salads with cheese and I often cook Indian food. I often marinate the meats I am using, but I forget to treat the vegetarian options with as much care at the preparation stage. I decided it was time I tried paneer again and give it the type of marinade I might use on a piece of chicken.
Admittedly, I was also inspired by an @SaveraPaneer recipe card and adapted this from their chermoula marinated paneer, apricot and rocket salad. The ingredients for the marinade go quite a long way and after I’d picked the cubes of paneer out to cook them, the remaining marinade was really delicious stirred into the yoghurt with some cucumber to make a raita. I hadn’t cooked paneer like this before and I found it was slightly dry if I ate it by itself but eaten with some of the raita it was so so tasty.
Paneer is often an ingredient I forget about but after making this, I’d love to have a go at some more paneer recipes. Maybe I’ll go for the classic of spinach and paneer next time. This time I wanted to make something slightly different as this month’s Spice Trail, hosted by Bangers and Mash has the theme of Indian. I’ve made loads of curries so I wanted to be a bit more adventurous, maybe not adventurous enough to try an Indian dessert, but at least to try something a little different from my usual Indian cooking.
Ingredients for the Marinade
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 cloves of garlic
Large handful of fresh coriander (cilantro)
Juice of 1 lemon
Extra virgin olive oil
Extra Ingredients for the salad
Rocket leaves (argula)
1/3 cucumber, diced
How to Make Paneer Salad
1. Put all the ingredients for the marinade (except for the paneer) into a food processor. Blitz. Add extra olive oil if it is too stiff.
2. Coat the paneer in the marinade and refrigerate for a few hours.
3. Heat a tiny bit of oil in a frying pan and fry the paneer, letting it brown slightly then turning it over. I cooked it on about 3 sides.
4. While the paneer is cooking, mix the cucumber and the remains of the marinade into the yoghurt.
5. Serve the paneer on top of the rocket leaves, with a sprinking of pomegranate seeds and with the yoghurt and cucumber raita on the side.