Roast chicken and vegetables makes such an easy tasty meal that everyone in our household loves. I like to vary it a bit but my husband doesn’t. He likes his roast meals to be traditional flavours with traditional accompaniments. Adding a few spices to our meals is almost always appreciated, except where roast dinner is concerned.
But even if I can’t vary the roast dinner, that still leaves me with the leftovers to play with, which is how this quinoa pesto and chicken salad came about. The best thing about it is that it is a meal made of leftovers which also makes enough for leftovers. I managed to eat this for 2 days in a row and even then I was not tired of it. I would actually cook some chicken just to make this.
Usually pesto is used on pasta or to drizzle into soup but after using it to make this quinoa pesto and chicken salad I definitely believe that it is not used with enough variety. Why save it for pasta? What about on other grains? Beans? lentils?
As far as I’m aware, I don’t think enough people have tried the combination of quinoa and pesto. I’m not saying it hasn’t been done before, just not by enough people. Wouldn’t it be nice to change that?
I promise you that if next time you have a roast chicken, you use the leftovers to make this quinoa pesto and chicken salad, you will not be disappointed.
- 200g dried quinoa
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Spring onions, sliced
- 100g sugar snap peas, sliced into about 3 pieces
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into sticks
- 16 tender spears of asparagus, sliced into pieces about 3cm long
- 100-150g basil pesto. Use this recipe or shop bought.
- Cooked chicken
- Cook the quinoa according to the pack instructions. Leave to cool.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper into the quinoa. Then stir in the vegetables.
- Stir in a couple of table spoons of pesto into the salad. Taste and add a bit more if necessary.
- Serve the salad with some chicken on top and drizzled with some more pesto.
I am linking this to my own event, Cook Once Eat Twice.